The Code Enforcement Program enforces the building and zoning ordinances for the unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County. The code enforcement process is typically initiated by responding to citizen complaints and by staff proactively investigating violations. Our goal is to resolve conflict(s) through voluntary compliance. In the absence of voluntary compliance, the offices have a range of other options to encourage compliance including citations, administrative actions, and abatement.
Submit a Code Enforcement Complaint
Code Enforcement Complaint Form (online submittal)
or Call: (925) 674-7210
Appeal a Building Code Violation
Work Exempt from a Permit
County Codes Enforced
Title 7 Building
Title 8 Zoning
Alcoholic Beverage Sales Commercial Activities Ordinance
Substandard Buildings/Uniform Housing Code
Residential Property Nuisances
Vacant Structure Regulations
Vacant Property/Lots Regulations
Ten Most Common Issues Resolved by Code Enforcement
1) Building, remodeling, repairs and demolition without permits.
2) Vacant, abandoned and unsecured buildings.
3) Garbage, junk piles, construction debris dismantled vehicles on private property.
4) Accessory buildings such as sheds, garages or carports built too close to property lines.
5) Buildings that have become unsafe for people to be in due to structural problems, electrical hazards or other life safety issue regarding building components.
6) Keeping livestock such as horses, goats or chickens on land not intended for this use.
7) Storing boats or recreational vehicles within public view on residential property.
8) Private pools that are not properly secured from children gaining access to them.
9) Residential property nuisances such as refrigerators, appliances, excavations, discarded furniture, shopping carts, weeds or cuttings left for any unreasonable amount of time.
10) Substandard structures used for living purposes such as outbuildings, garages, or recreational vehicles.
|Supervisorial District||Communities and Cities within District|
|District 1||San Pablo Heights, Richmond Heights, Rollingwood, El Sobrante, North Richmond, Kensington, Tara Hills, and Montalvin Manor|
|District 2||Lafayette, Moraga, Orinda, Canyon, Canyon, Alamo, Danville, San Ramon, Norris Canyon & Walnut Creek|
|District 3||Blackhawk, Diablo, Camino Tassajara Valley, Livermore Valley, Morgan Territory, Brentwood, Byron, Discovery Bay, Knightsen, Bethel Island, Bradford Island & Oakley|
|District 4||Concord, Clayton, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek|
|District 5||Bay Point, Antioch, Pittsburg, Clyde, Pacheco, Martinez, Vine Hill, Shelby, Mount View, Alhambra Valley, Port Costa, Crockett, Pinole & Rodeo|